Learner Controlled Instruction (LCI)
Meaning of LCI
The learner controlled instruction (LCI) is a method or instruction that is controlled by the learner. In traditional teaching, the entire teaching-learning process is dominated by the teachers themselves.
LCI is an open revolt against the rigidity of learning path and the teacher-centred system of instruction. It works on a principle that an individual learner can learn better if he is provided opportunity to choose his own learning path, develop his own sequence of learning and engage himself in learning the things related to a particular topic of his choice by using the teacher as a resource person or facilitator.
Nature of LCI
- Learner is the centre of instruction and teacher is the follower.
- All the teaching learning process is carried out by the students and teacher acts only when students motivate them.
- There is a close interaction between teacher and learner, but instruction depends upon the learner.
- Teacher’s role is to motivate and inspire learner for learning.
- Learner holds the control of teaching-learning process by asking questions and making the teacher to respond for helping him in reaching his goal.
Definition of LCI
“Learner controlled instruction is that method or process of individualized instruction where the learner exercises full control over the total process of instruction right from the setting of objectives to their realization leading all the way throughout by making the teacher to assist or help him merely in the capacity of a good resource person”.
Procedure of LCI
Decision about the initial behaviour-
Since learner knows best about themselves therefore, they are provided with the opportunity to mark their own initial behaviour in terms of abilities and potential.
Decision about setting of the objectives-
Learner decides what he wants to study and what educational goals he wants to achieve. Teacher helps in his task so that objectives are clearly specified in behavioural terms.
Selection and sequencing of the learning experiences-
There is no fixed pattern of learning experiences in LCI. Hence, learner is set free to instruct himself in any way and in any order for achieving behaviourally stated objectives.
Evaluation of the instructional process-
Although teacher acts as helper and assist the individual learner but the whole instructional process becomes a shared responsibility of both the teacher and the learner. Teacher persuades learners to engage in self-evaluation of their learning outcomes. He also helps them in supervision and guidance of their practices, drill, projects and other experimental activities. Periodic tests may also be held for the evaluation of the individual learner’s performance in terms of their learning through LCI programme.
Advantages of LCI
- LCI provides better individualized instructions as it is purely learner centred and learner dominated instructional method.
- It helps in the proper identification of the initial behaviour as learner knows about himself more than anyone else and they identify their initial behaviour.
- LCI play a significant role in setting meaningful and realistic instructional objectives.
- It provides opportunity to each individual learner to generate their own sequence of learning to achieve set objectives.
- LCI provides full opportunity to learner and it is completely learner-centred. Therefore, it maintains proper interest and motivation of the learner.
- It helps in the establishment of harmonious relationship between the teachers and the learners.
- LCI helps learner in solving various classroom problems.
- It inculcates good habits in the learning. Since learning is done by own effort, it allows in removal of unnecessary shyness, fear, hesitation etc. and creates an environment for proper learning.
- It helps in saving the time and energy of both the learner and the teacher.
- In LCI learning sequences are structured by learner and helps much in gaining useful and practical life experiences.
Limitations of LCI
- In practical sense, LCI may fall seriously in trouble for catering the needs of the individual learners.
- In LCI, total teaching-learning process is controlled by the students by playing a lead role. Therefore, results may not come as expected.
- It could become a tough task for the teacher to satisfy the needs of each and every individual learner. Teacher must have thorough knowledge and skill of providing responses to every question of different learners.
- LCI is quite difficult to be applicable in present educational set-up.
Therefore, there is a need of change of attitude on the part of its users and also in teaching-learning set-up for its being adopted as a method of instruction.
- Role-Playing Strategy | Teaching Strategies
- Brainstorming Strategy | Teaching Strategies and Devices
- Team Teaching: Types | Procedure | Advantages & Limitation
- Bruner’s Theory of Instructor | Features of Burner’s Theory
- C.T. | Aims of ICT| Use of LCD & CCTV in Education
- Teleconferencing- Meaning| Types| Educational Implication
- Freud’s System of Psychology- Complete Concept and Criticism
- Levels of Teaching- Memory | Understanding & Reflective Level
- विशेष शिक्षा की आवश्यकता | Need for Special Education
Disclaimer: wandofknowledge.com is created only for the purpose of education and knowledge. For any queries, disclaimer is requested to kindly contact us. We assure you we will do our best. We do not support piracy. If in any way it violates the law or there is any problem, please mail us on email@example.com