The process of education must be accompanied by the school activities that help to enrich the process of teaching, presentation and learning inside the class and outside the classroom. Students learn themselves by participation in the attainment of knowledge by gathering information and processing it by solving problems and articulating what they have discovered. Each activity below provides students with opportunities to deepen their learning by applying concepts and articulating new knowledge and many of these activities also provide the instructor feedback about the students learning.
Meaning of Classroom Activities
Classroom activities are done by the students inside the class as a part of applying or doing the practical part of the lesson after listening to the theoretical part which is presented by the teacher. The term “Classroom activities” applies to a wide range of skill-based games, strategies and interactive activities that support student’s educational development. The goal of all activities is to enhance student’s understanding, skill or effectiveness in a specific area by engaging multiple styles of learning. School activities also serve to infuse fun into learning as well as boost students confidence and the ability to learn and think critically.
Importance of Classroom Activities
In the 21st century, the world is changing fast. The conventional education curriculum, which was developed in the early 20th century, has to pave the way to a new kind of education and learning.
Classroom activities are vital because even though they are not a part of the core-curriculum, they play a very crucial role in giving the young boys and girls the ability to shape up their lives. The school activities have to be designed purposefully to give an aptitude mix of student’s participation in academics and also to create a chance for all-round development. To understand the importance of classroom activities, let us see how these activities benefit students:
Enhances overall personality-
School activities help to enhance the overall personality of the students. These prepare them to take challenges heads up and enable them to think critically. Experiences and skills acquired through these co-curricular activities make students pro-active and prepared for their future endeavors. Therefore, the importance of classroom activities cannot be denied in overall personality development.
The goal of classroom activities is to give better fitness to students and inculcate a sense of sportsmanship, competitive spirit, leadership, meticulousness, cooperation and team spirit. Thus, by integrating a number of classroom activities in their syllabus and making it mandatory for the students to choose their interest in classroom activities can enhance the learning. The hidden motive behind all this is to develop self-confidence and trust in others.
Develop specialized skills-
Classroom activities in school help the talents of young minds and give them opportunities to develop their specialized skills. Competitions that are organized can create a competitive environment and help them work towards continuous improvement in their skills.
Improve academic performance-
Studies have shown that students pursuing their hobbies achieved better results in their studies. Their academic performance goes up as they learn to balance their classroom activities with their academic pursuits. They also better understand how to manage their time efficiently and also increase their interest in the school.
Exposure to new activities-
Students are introduced to a whole new horizon of activities that give them insights and let them choose what they enjoy and what they wish to learn. It broadens new horizons for them. These activities stimulate playing, painting, singing, dancing, speaking and many other skills in students. Thus, co-curricular activities broaden the scope of students in learning and exploring new activities.
Need of Classroom Activities
We need classroom activities along with the classroom learning because these activities complement what students are learning in school and support intellectual, emotional, social, moral, creative and physical development.
Example of classroom activities include art club, debate club, student council, school magazine, painting competition, story-telling, student newspaper, oration etc.
We need classroom activities because-
- These activities complement what students are learning in the class.
- These activities help students pursue their hobbies and helps student to show their hidden talents to the class.
- It helps to develop relationship skills and in many cases lasting relationship.
- Classroom activities are needed so that students learn to manage their time effectively and be pro-active and creative problem solver.
- Classroom activities develop the self-esteem of the students who do not excel academically. Experiencing success or being recognized for a contribution to an activity can greatly improve student’s self-esteem.
- Participation in classroom activities requires student to make a longer-term commitment to something. Many students who are involved for longer-term eventually take on a leadership role.
So, basically to enhance the learning of the students and make learning interesting we need to practically do those things.
- Every school and institution should give extra attention to these activities to enhance the learning. Schools should organize debates, competitions, quiz etc. to make the learning interesting.
- These activities should be organized to develop co-operation, encouragement, interesting and learning.
- The activities should be economical, so that every student can afford it.
- These activities should be organized every week. There should be a special period to organize these activities.
- The students who are shy should be asked to perform activities and should be asked to do what they like. No one should force any student to do anything. They should be encourages instead.
Other Related Articles
- Aesthetic Development of School Campus
- School Campus Cleanliness: Need & Importance | Its Role
- Furniture Cleaning: Importance |Measures to keep them clean
- First Aid: Importance |Common Ailments |Bandaging types & its Use
- Rally/ Campaign: How to Organize a rally at School level ?
- Register- Need Importance Types & Maintenance of Registers
- Achievement Test and Item Analysis- B.Ed. Assignment
- School Records: Objective| Types | Maintenance & Cumulative Records
- School Assembly: How to Conduct Assembly in School | Importance
- PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION (P.T.A.)- Assignment
Disclaimer: wandofknowledge.com is created only for the purpose of education and knowledge. For any queries, disclaimer is requested to kindly contact us. We assure you we will do our best. We do not support piracy. If in any way it violates the law or there is any problem, please mail us on email@example.com